|Dimensions Inside:||5.5" (width) x 36" (depth) x 4.25 (height)|
|Max Temp:||Fires to 2350° F|
|Shipping Weight:||176# (Freight)|
- FREE SHIPPING in the contiguous US!
- 12-Key Digital Sentry 2.0 Controller
- Solid State Relays
- On/Off Safety Switch
- Built-in Stand
- Instruction Manual
- 1-year Limited Warranty
At Paragon we are excited that knives heat treated in the KM-36T are making history right now. The KM-36T was our first knifemaking furnace. We introduced it in 1986 with an advertisement in Blade magazine.
Long lasting solid state relay
The KM-36T now has a solid state relay, which lasts far longer than a standard mechanical relay. The solid state relay has no moving parts to wear out. The first thing you will notice is that the solid state relay is silent. You will hear just the reassuring hum of elements. The solid state relay makes heating elements last longer and offers better temperature control during holds.
The KM-36T includes a mechanical relay as part of a safety circuit.
Choose a side swing door or a drop door
You can order a Paragon knifemaking furnace with either a drop door or a side-swing door. (The photo above shows the traditional drop door. Scroll down to Options to see the side swing door.) The price of the furnace is the same with either door style.
The drop door opens downward with one-handed operation. A counter-weight handle holds the door securely closed. The door, whether drop or side-swing, is mounted on a heavy-duty 1/2” thick hinge shaft for smooth opening. Because of the rigid case and heavy hinge, the door is sturdy enough for years of faithful service.
Door safety switch
The door micro safety switch shuts off the power to the elements when the door is opened, yet the controller continues to give a temperature readout. The safety switch is standard on Paragon KM furnaces.
Thermocouple with “special limit” wire
The thermocouple senses temperature inside the kiln. It is the small rod that extends into the firing chamber. The ¼” wide Type-K, 14-gauge, exposed-tip thermocouple is made with special-limit wire for superior accuracy. The exposed tip gives the controller a fast response time for even temperatures during holds. The thermocouple is made in America to our exacting standards.
Optional gas injection flow meter
During heat treating, scale forms on the steel. You can eliminate most scaling by wrapping the blades in stainless steel foil. Or you can install the gas injection flow meter on your furnace. It is available as either an add-on kit, or you can order the furnace with the meter installed. The meter regulates the flow of an inert gas, such as argon, inside the furnace. The gas displaces the oxygen to prevent some of the scaling. For more details, click on the link in the Options section below.
Compare the full range of Paragon KM furnace sizes
- KM-14T: 14 ½” long, 5 ½” wide, and 4 ¼” high
- KM-18T: 18” long, 5 ½” wide, and 4 ¼” high
- KM-24T: 24” long, 5 ½” wide, and 4 ¼” high
- KM-36T: 36” long, 5 ½” wide, and 4 ¼” high
- KM-45T: 45” long, 5 ½” wide, and 4 ¼” high
- Double Barrel 9T: 11” long, 9” wide, and 4 ¼” high
- Double Barrel 18T: 18” long, 11” wide, and 4 ¼” high
- Double Barrel 24T: 24” long, 11” wide, and 4 ¼” high
Knifemakers Heat Treating Kit contains:
- One (1) Pair Hot Gloves: For intermittent handling of hot objects up to 400° F. Sold in pairs. Not intended for handling hot blades.
- One (1) Heat Treating Fork: Easily removes knife holders and blades from the hot furnace. A sliding wooden handle allows you the most comfortable position for holding the fork. 31” long.
- Eight (8) Firebrick Supports: Position firebrick supports under the knife holders inside the furnace. The firebrick supports raise the knife holders so you can slide the fork under holders.
- Four (4) Knifeholders: High-temperature removable pins fit into holes pressed into a ceramic base. The pins hold the blades on edge so heat can circulate around each blade. (You will need to wrap the blades in heat treating foil, which is not included in this kit.)